If you’re a fan of the classic French Onion Soup, you’re in for a treat! This French Onion Soup Casserole recipe takes the beloved flavors of traditional French Onion Soup and transforms them into a delightful casserole. With layers of sweet onions, toasty bread, and gooey cheeses, this dish is a crowd-pleaser. Follow along for an in-depth guide to crafting this culinary masterpiece.
|Sweet onions, thinly sliced
|Thyme, fresh or dried
|Dry white wine
|French bread or baguette, toasted
|1 1/2 cups
|Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
|Cooking spray for the baking dish
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add sliced onions and cook until soft and golden brown. Stir in garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme; cook for another minute.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions, cook to remove the raw flour taste, then pour in the wine. Simmer until the liquid reduces slightly, then add both broths. Bring to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Pour half of the onion mixture into the prepared baking dish. Layer half of the toasted bread on top, then sprinkle with half of the Gruyère and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and starting to get those irresistible browned edges.
- Let it sit for a few minutes to set. Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving for a pop of color and freshness!